Put Di Lime In Di Coconut!!!
Ah, it’s officially spring y’all! And spring break for many people. All beaches around the world are filled with spring breakers and beach bums… ah all accept ME! Yep, because I have to work… sheesh! Yep, what did y’all think that I didn’t work! Oh yes, I’m a slave at my company. So this year, as much as I want too, I can’t break for the life of me. :/ That doesn’t mean I can’t eat as if I’m not at a tropical beach somewhere down south. Meh! 🙁
Yesterday I tried cheering myself up by making my favorite Coconut Key Lime Pie. I have a fixation with coconut. I have to have it with EVERYTHING. Maybe it’s because deep down I miss my native home, Puerto Rico.
This recipe and post is dedicated to all the workaholics like me, stuck at work with no time for play.
In my recipe, this pie gets a triple dose of coconut and lime. You have a coconut and lime sweet yet tangy crust, with a rich coconut-lime infused filling that is drowned with a soft dose of coconut and lime infused whipped cream, and with the addition of toasted coconut and lime zest, this pie is infinite deliciousness. Has pie ever made you climb up a wall? No? Well, maybe this one will.
This pie is a 3 step process. ready? Let’s get our ingredients ready…
For 9.5″ pie crust:
- 9.5″ Pie pan
- 2 packs of original flavor Nabisco Honey Maid graham cracker’s – about 19 crackers
- 1 stick butter – melted
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 pk true lime
- 1 tsp lime zest
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp shredded toasted coconut
- Click for step by step instructions for Coconut-Lime Pie Crust
For pie filling:
- 1 can sweet condensed milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 15 Key Limes or 6 reg limes
- the zest of ^^ those limes
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp toasted coconut
For Key Lime Whipped Cream:
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp sugar in the raw
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pk true lime
- pinch of lime zest
Click following link for my Coconut-Lime Pie Crust Recipe
Step 1 – Let’s zest all those limes FIRST, then juice them and preheat oven to 350 deg.
In a large non reactive bowl individually whisk 4 egg yolks, condensed milk, slowly whisk in lime juice, don’t just pour it in there, lime zest and toasted coconut. Then Pour in your already made Coconut Lime Graham Crust
Bake in oven for 20 min. Pretty eh?
For the Coconut Lime Whip Cream
- To get the best consistancy for your whip cream the most important thing to do is, give it an ice bath. Just pour ice in the mixer and fill with cold water. let stand for 10 min
- Empty out water and dry
- Combine heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla and mix on speed 2 for 1 min
- Add True Lime and lime zest.
- If you have a splatter shield, put it on
- On highest speed (KitchenAid Mixer, Speed 10) beat until soft peaks form. (note for my pie I don’t whip the cream until peaks are formed. I like it creamy)
Pour whip cream over pie and serve immediately