Wanna do pizza with me?
A Fantastically Loaded Pizza with Whole Wheat Flour, Semolina, Prosciutto, Sun Dried Tomatoes, Capers, Baby Peppers, Basil, Mushrooms, Kalamata Olives… Oh! AND CHEESE! I don’t know if this is considered to be healthy or BAD! Either way, it makes one yummy PIZZA!!!!
First things first… To make brick oven worthy pizza at home you need a few ingredients and utensils. Without these you might as well just open up a frozen box of Ellios pizza and call it a day…
- PIZZA STONE – Please! Invest $25 bucks on any pizza stone. I promise you, you will never be disappointed with the end result. Steer clear of aluminum or metal pizza pans.. they are GARBAGE!
- Pizza Peeler – It just makes easy handing to and from the oven.
- Semolina Flour – No respectable pizza goes without it!
- An Oven that heats to 500 (or more) degrees
With the above essentials you will give any pizzeria a run for their money.
Let’s get the ingredients ready…
Elena’s Confused Pizza – Makes 2 large Pies – or 4 ten inch pies. Depending on your stone.
For the Dough;
- 5 cups whole wheat organic flour
- 2 cups Semolina Flour
- 2 (1/4) packs Active Yeast
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 Tsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp raw sugar
- 2.5 cups warm water
For the Pizza;
- 4 cups of your BEST pasty Marinara sauce
- 2 tbsp Williams Sonoma Pizza seasoning or 1/2 tsp each of… garlic flakes, sun-dried tomato, California chili, cayenne pepper flakes, onion flakes, sea salt, basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped Kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup Capers
- 1/4 lbs Imported Prosciutto (thinly sliced and fat trimmed) For you health fanatics like me… scratch!
- 1 bunch fresh sweet basil
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Flur De Sel (French Sea Salt)
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 tbsp oregano
- 1/2 tbsp dried sweet basil
- 1/2 tbsp roasted garlic powder
- 1 cup sliced sweet baby peppers
- 32oz shredded fresh “skim milk” mozzarella cheese
First step is to make the dough..
- Mix the 2.5 cups warm water, 2 Pkts. yeast, sugar, and olive oil. Stir and let stand for 5 min.
- Sift together the flours and salt
In a stand mixer with the kneading attachment (or by hand) mix the flours and stir in the water until blended together. Knead for about 5 minutes.
Find a comfortable workplace in your kitchen. Flour the workspace, dump the dough on the workspace and continue kneading for another 5 minutes.
Split the dough into two balls and cover with a damp cloth for about an hour.
While the dough rises let’s get all the pizza ingredients ready! 😀
Shred the cheese and place in an airtight container and place in the fridge. This allows the cheese stay fresh and not melt. Do the same with the Prosciutto.
In a small sauce pot bring the 4 cups of sauce and the pizza seasonings to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and let stand to cool.
In a bowl mix the sliced sun-dried tomato with the 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 1/2 tsp sea salt, 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper, 1/2 tbsp oregano, 1/2 tbsp dried sweet basil and 1/2 tbsp roasted garlic powder. Mix well and let stand.
Finally chop up the olives, capers, basil, mushrooms, peppers and set aside.